Finally it was a breakaway that got in. But what happened between the GC-contenders was more interesting. Simon Yates showed signs of weakness and lost time. And Chris Froome is at least competing for a place on the podium. The race is far from over yet. Today is another mountain stage with a summit finish. This it this year’s Cima Coppa stage, the stage with the highest mountain pass: olla delle Finestre at 2178 meter. It will be an exiting stage.
I include the profile of today’s stage, to give an impression of what the riders will be into.
Piemont means the foot of the mountain. Where there is foot of the mountain, it will usually also be mountains.
I have written that on this high mountain stages, we can sometimes find wine in the valleys between the mountains. Today we can find some wine in Valsusa, or The Susa valley, that the riders wil cylcle throuh a part of, between the firs two mountains.
It is difficult to find much information about wine from this area. The wine was classified and got DOC-status in the mid 1990s. They produce red wine on well known grapes as Barbera and Dolcetto, but they also use local grapes like Neretto and Avana. This is about how much I have been able to find out about the wines from this area.
The wines are produced in small quantities, and is hard to find outside the area. Wines produced close to the mountains ans well knowk ski-resorts, are often sold to and drunk by the tourists in the area.
From what I have been able to find out, it seems to be a wine to drink when being there. I would have tried a wine produced on Neretto or Avana, rather than a Barbera or Dolcetto. But it does not seem to be wine worth looking for outside the area. It will be hard to find, and is probably not a very interesting wine.
Wines (and some other drinks) of Giro d'Italia 2018
- This years’s Giro started in Israel, I will start in Italy
- Stage 4: Catania — Caltagirone
- Stage 5: Agrigento — Santa Ninfa (Valle del Belice)
- Stage 6 Caltanisette — Etna
- Stage 7. Pizzo — Praia a Mare
- Stage 8. Praia a Mare — Montevergine di Mercogliano
- Stage 9: Pesco Sannita — Gran Sasso d’Italia (Campo Imperatore)
- Stage 10. Penne — Gualdo Tandino
- Stage 11. Assisi — Osimo
- Stage 12. Osimo — Imola
- Stage 13. Ferrara — Nervesa della Battaglia
- Stage 14. San Vito al Tagliamento — Monte Zoncolan
- Stage 15. Tolmezzo — Sappada
- Stage 16. Trento — Rovereto (Individual time trial)
- Stage 17. Riva del Garda — Iseo (Franciacorta stage)
- Stage 18. Abbiategrasso — Prato Nevoso
- Stage 19: Venaria Reale — Bardonecchia
- Stage 20: Susa — Cervinia
- Stage 21: The finale in Rome
Tour de France