An accident can alwas destroy a rider’s chance. Seven Kruijwijk has a broken rib after yesterday’s crash. He will decide this morning if he will continue or not.
Another brutal mountain stage. It is short, as I have said before: For professional riders, not for me, 134 km. Here is no warm up. Climbing right from the start, three mountain passes over 2000 meteres, and a top finish.
As we saw on stage 16, short mountain stages give a lot of action, and are fun to watch. But it may not be fun to ride, at least not for the sprinters. Today is the day the general classification will be settled. It will not be possible to gain a lot of time at the final stage. Expect a lot of action, high speed and a time limit that may cause problems for some of the sprinter.
We are staying in France most of the time, as the stage runs almost parallell to the French/Italian border, crossing over to Italy near the end. It is a brutal stage, and a brutal fact for us is that here we do not fine any interesting wine. In the tourist information, wines classified as IGP Hautes Alpes (IGP equals IGT in the Italian classification). But as far as I can see, it is not produced in this area. And I have not found local beers or other interesting drinks.
Maybe they have good and fresh water up in these mountains. We have to wait for more wine until tomorrow’s final stage.
Wines (and some other drinks) of Giro d'Italia 2016
- Stage 1: Prolog in Apeldoorn. Dutch beer
- Stage 2: Arnhem -- Nijmegen. Dutch Trappist beer
- Stage 3: Nijmegen -- Arnhem
- Stage 4: Catanzaro -- Praia a Mare. At last some Italian wine.
- Stage 5: Praia a Mare -- Benevento
- Stage 6: Ponte -- Roccaraso [Aremogna]
- Stage 7: Sulmona -- Folgino
- Stage 8: Foligno -- Arezzo
- Stage 9: Chianti Classico -- Wine stage of the year
- Stage 10: Campo Bisenzio -- Sestola
- Stage 11: Modena -- Asolo
- Stage 12: Noale -- Bibione
- Stage 13: Palmanova -- Cicidale del Friuli
- Stage 14: Alpago (Farra) -- Corvara
- Stage 15: Casterotto/Kastelruth -- Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm. Up hill time trial
- Stage 16: Bressanone/Brixen -- Andalo
- Stage 17: Molveno -- Cassano d'Adda
- Stage 18: Muggió -- Pinerolo
- Stage 19: Pinerolo -- Risoul
- Stage 20: Guillestre -- Sant'Anna di Vinadio
- Stage 21: Cueno -- Torino
Tour de France